Thursday, February 7, 2008

SPACE CREATURES

Here are some creatures that live in space! On the sides of ships or in asteroid belts...


Mynocks

The parasitic, leathery-winged Mynocks are a common annoyance to many ship captains. The Mynocks attach themselves to starships via their suction-cup mouths and once attached, they chew on the ships power cables.

Mynocks travel in packs and grow to be approximately 1.6 meters long, with a wingspan of just over 1 meter.



(picture courtesy of picsearch.com)


Space Slug

Space Slugs are huge worm-like creatures that live within asteroids and airless planetoids. Their silcon-biology allows them to exist in the vacuum of space.

Space Slugs can grow to be as large as 800 meters! Although the typical Space Slugs are on average only 10 meters in length. Several of the huge Space Slugs are known to exist in the Hoth Asteroid Belt.

(picture courtesy of picsearch.com)

Kudar Mubat

Kudar Mubat is a huge spider-like creature. He lives in a spider web in space. This web has parts of space ships integrated into it.

Kudar Mubat is a go-between for Bounty Hunters and clients. A client will pay Kudar Mubat to recruit a Bounty Hunter for them. Mubat will take payment and schedule a meeting with the Bounty Hunter. Upon successful completion of the mission, Mubat will take possession of the bounty and pay the Bounty Hunter for his services (minus his own "go-between" fee). Mubat then arranges to have the client pick up the bounty they paid for.

If anyone has a picture of Kudar Mubat, or knows where I can find one, please let me know. Thank you!

3 comments:

Heather said...

This is amazing Jennifer. I was a Star Wars fan until they brought out episodes 1, 2 and 3. I just lost interest with those ones. I must say when I look at your photos (thanks for citing them) I remember my children's favourite movie when they were growing up: Spaceballs. They saw that before they saw Star Wars. They thought that Star Wars ripped off Spaceballs. I know. I was not a good Mom ;-)

But seriously. A few weeks ago I heard a very interesting debate between a SW fan and a Star Trek fan. They talked about which show/film was more relevant, important etc. When I look at all of the creatures, it reminds me of a key point. The Star Trek fan mentioned the scene in the bar where Luke was told that the bar did not allow droids. Instead of standing up for his friends, he tells them to leave the bar. The Star Trek fan talked about how that is the same discrimination that happened in early days with various human ethnic groups. He said that Star Wars lost a chance to show a different way of handling this kind of comment. What do you think?

Heather

Heather said...

I just wrote a really long post and it was rejected - maybe too long so I will shorten.

Jennifer, my grown kids had a favourite film growing up: Spaceballs. What do you think of that one. As a serious fan, do you consider it an insult?

I heard a debate between a SW fan and a Star Trek fan on CBC radio. A negative of SW was the scene when Luke was told in the bar that the droids had to leave. Instead of standing up for their rights, he agreed and asked them to go. What do you think?

Heather

Jennifer said...

Hi Heather,

Spaceballs is actually one of my favourite movies! I think its absolutely hilarious. I've also seen the new animated Family Guy Star Wars movie. It was alright, but not as funny as Spaceballs.

As a true fan, I do not find it an insult. Remember the old saying "its the kindest form of flattery". I enjoyed both the movies.

As for your other comment, about the droids and discrimination...

It's my personal opinion that the droids in Star Wars are not treated fairly. I think the droids are almost treated as slaves. If you remember, in the beginning of A New Hope, Luke Skywalker's uncle actually purchases the droids, just like slaves were purchased years and years ago.

Another example is how, during Empire Strikes Back, Leia is tired of listening to C3PO and just shuts him off mid-speech. I thought that was rude.

I do feel that the droids could be treated better. Especially given the important role that they play. Another example is when Luke, Leia, Chewy and Han are in the garbage compactor! It was R2D2 and C3PO that saved their lives.

Thank you,

Jennifer